Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Just got back from an emergency run to pick up some ant traps. It would seem that the rain has caused the ants to want to make my home their home. I'm pretty easy going but when the entire swarm showed up and thought they would take over my kitchen well... I had to do something. After I laid the traps I watched to see if these little creatures would march into the traps like the package claimed. But they didn't seem to want anything to do with that. The invasion is beginning to wane but I'm wondering... if it’s more a case of them spreading word through the antvine that it’s time to move on. We have outlived our welcome. I wonder.
Anyway, I summoned up a few new pieces last night in my studio. Well it's really my garage but doesn't studio sound so much better? The pieces I created are actually more like some of my older pieces. By older I mean pre-etsy, pre obsession. I've been struggling a bit trying to squeeze myself into a mold. One that doesn't fit very well, the mold of consistency. It would seem that most of designers on Etsy (and elsewhere) have a particular style. And while I must admit I've tried to have a "particular" style I can't seem to stay with any single style. I'm too schizophrenic for that. My designs are often more in sync with a particular mood rather than a particular style. My tastes are wide ranging and my moods can be all over the map and that's what is reflected in my creative endeavors. Well wherever they come from I just hope someone likes them.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

You are a true artist. Your pieces are so unique and exquisite!

CrochetBlogger said...

I think it's great that you're doing work that isn't within a mold. It's really hard to balance creating work for a market (such as Etsy) with being truly creative but I think you've done a great job with these new pieces.

djamesdesigns said...

Kathryn Thank you for your kind words.
Etsy is a great community! but it is sometimes a challenge to keep from being distracted from my own work.

Best, Denise